Pages

Monday, November 4, 2013

Washington, D.C.

This past weekend, we were finally able to go tour Washington D.C. for a couple days, something we've wanted to do for a long time! We all love history, and where can you find more history than in our capitol!
(Unfortunately, the fact of our current administration dampened the joy a little bit).


Pictures don't do any of the buildings justice. Their magnificence just can't be caught by the camera!


The Signing of the Declaration of Independence



The Supreme Court Building



Looking up at the spiral staircase in the
Supreme Court Building


  We learned that the Supreme Court is not the highest court in the U.S. There is a court above the Supreme Court: a basketball court! When the building was built, there was a big empty room right above the Supreme Court chamber. Some of the lawyers, aides, and other employees that worked there wanted to be able to get some exercise, so a gym was constructed up there!


Snacking... (and goofing off, in Nathan's case =D)

Boarding the metro

The Potomac River

Daniel had read about the Lincoln Memorial in his history and really wanted to see it:




Mom and Daniel by the Reflecting Pool with the Washington Monument
in the background

Our other stops were the Holocaust Museum - a very sobering experience- and the American History Museum, where we were happily engrossed for several hours! The original "Star Spangled Banner" was really neat to see! 





  We also got to stop by to see Paul, Priscilla, and Victor on Friday evening. That little guy is growing like a weed! He just turned one a couple weeks ago.



Haha... monkey see, monkey do!




 Dad made Victor this hammer and peg set.
 Purpose--keep child happily occupied; 
help child learn to hammer; 
drive child's parents crazy!  =D



I think he enjoyed the gift bags and wrapping paper as 
much as the gifts themselves!





  After a busy weekend, we got a day off school to make and can applesauce (Well, at least I got a day off school. Beth and Daniel worked on school when we didn't need them). We didn't get as much made as we had hoped; the apples were bigger and didn't make the best sauce, but it still tastes good and it'll last us long enough. I believe the final tally was about 37 quart. We saved some apples for dumplings and for mince meat, since we were recently given some venison. Mince meat pie coming up! =D






4 comments:

  1. It was really funny....I learned about John Marshall today in my History!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And you got a picture of the statue of him!!!!!!!! Victor is getting soooo big!!!!!!!!! And Apple sauce!!! I love it better then pear sauce! :) We have jars and jars full! And its sooooo good!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post certainly brings back lots of memories :) D.C. is such an amazing place to visit. Victor is getting so big....they grow up tooo fast! You guys look just like us when making applesauce :)) We got a little more then that (and are still making more). But we never tire of appleasuce.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like ALOT of fun! we're going to can some applesauce soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad that you finally got your DC trip in. I wish I could have been along too. It looks like alot of fun and a good day. The making of applesauce looks like fun too. I had to do mine all by myself. As Melinda used to say, "All my by self". ha ha

    ReplyDelete